The article examines the strategic development of the tourism sector in Ukraine under COVID-19, analyzes the main quantitative and qualitative trends. It is outlined that the development of the tourism sector in Ukraine in pandemic conditions, on the one hand, caused the intensification of domestic tourism, on the other hand, it is asymmetric, the most developed ones are amateur tourism and local travel to the city and rural tourism. As a result, the activities of travel agencies have declined sharply.
Despite the fact that there is a domestic solvent consumer, travel companies simply cannot offer them adequate travel services in price and quality and comparable to foreign counterparts. Without significant capital investments and their effective development, the tourism industry of Ukraine cannot develop. After the end of the pandemic, it is predicted that a solvent Ukrainian tourist will switch to foreign tourism in masse. It should be concluded that domestic travel companies, some local attractions use the benefits provided by the pandemic not for the further development of their activities, but for short-term revenue growth. This is especially true for travel agencies and accommodation facilities on the coastline of the Azov and Black Seas.
As for the tourist zone of the Carpathians, the tourism industry is actively developing and the quality of services is constantly improving, new tourist and excursion programs are being developed. Thus, the main results of the development of the tourism industry in the last two years were the increase of domestic tourism, the creation of additional jobs, the general rise of the economy of the regions of the coastal zone and the Carpathians. As before, the vast majority of regions of Ukraine make very little use of their tourism potential. A comprehensive program for the development of domestic tourism in Ukraine should be proposed and implemented. The second direction is the active involvement of foreign tourists. At a time when most host countries are closed to tourists (especially in Asia, and for Asian countries – in Europe), it is necessary to offer new tourism products, adapt existing ones for new types of tourists and improve their quality. It is necessary to offer a comprehensive approach to managing the functioning of the tourism industry in each region.
Keywords: tourism, tourism market under pandemic, domestic tourism, the formation of a competitive tourism product, an integrated approach to tourism development.
- Hoblyk-Markovych, N. M., Il’t’o, T. I. (2018). «Analysis of the dynamics and current issues of tourism development». Osvita i nauka. №24 (1), p. 16–22.
- Gorban, Y. (2019). By the way, in tourism, Ukraine does not lag behind. Available at: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-society/2664756-do-reci-v-turizmi-ukraina-ne-pase-zadnih.html.
- Zhalilo, Ya. A., Kovalivska, C. V., Filipenko, A. O., Khiminets, V. V. and Golovka, A. A. (2019). Schodo rozvytku turyzmu v Ukraini v umovakh pidvyschenykh epidemichnykh ryzykiv: Analitychna zapyska Natsional’noho instytutu stratehichnykh doslidzhen’. [Regarding the development of tourism in Ukraine in the conditions of increased epidemic risks: an analytical note of the National Institute for Strategic Studies]. Available at: https://niss.gov.ua/sites/default/files/2020-06 / turyzm-v-ukraini.pdf
- Zavoruieva, O.S. (2019). Udoskonalennia stratehii upravlinnia rozvytkom turystychnoi haluzi Ukrainy. [Improving the management strategy of the tourism industry of Ukraine]. Ph.D. Thesis. Classical private university.
- Obolentseva, L.V., Halyts’ka A.M. (2019). Assessing the impact of tourism as an economic phenomenon. Suchasni tendentsii rozvytku industrii turyzmu ta hostynnosti u konkurentnomu seredovyschi. [Current trends in the tourism and hospitality industry in a competitive environment]. Proceeding of the Materials scientific-practical conf. Kharkiv. Kharkiv National University of Municipal Economy named after OM Beketova.
- Operational information on the spread of coronavirus infection 2019-nCoV, (2020). Available at: https://moz.gov.ua/article/news/operativna-informacija-pro-poshirennja-koronavirusnoi-infekcii2019-ncov
- COVID-19 pandemic and its consequences in the field of tourism in Ukraine, (2020). Available at: http://www.ntoukraine.org/assets/files/EBRD-COVID19-Report-UKR.pdf.
- Pogrebnyak, L.V., Gavrishkiv N.B. (2020). Development of rural tourism in Ukraine during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sciences of Europe. 2, №56, рр. 11–15.
- External Sector Report: Global Imbalances and the COVID-19 Crisis. Available at: https://www.elibrary.imf.org/view/books/085/29144-9781513549019-en/29144-9781513549019-en-book.xml
The article was received 14.02.2021