The deepening of cross-border cooperation opens new opportunities for the revitalization of rural areas and obtaining synergistic effect from interlacing reproductive potential of rural areas and subjects that are located there. Considering the dynamics of external environment, there is a need for researching new factors, forms, conditions and parameters of imbalances overcome for rural development in the integration and convergence that affect the economic security of the state.
The current realities of European integration processes strengthen the role of cross-border cooperation and open new opportunities for the development of rural areas. The convergence of the rural areas economy of the Euroregion ‘Upper Prut’ simultaneously acts as a catalyst and an indicator of the development of European integration of Ukraine.
However, the current state of rural areas development of the Chernivtsi region is a process of uneven, asynchronous and disproportionate changes. The analysis of the development of rural areas showed an uneven development. The main disproportions in the development of rural areas of the Chernivtsi region are the following: monofunctional character of development; inefficient agriculture; negative impact on soil fertility, insufficient application of organic and mineral fertilizers; low income of the rural population; absence of conditions for the development of alternative business lines and their further diversification in rural areas; lack of an adequate mechanism for implementing financial support for the development of rural areas; Lack of economic interest to live and work in rural areas, motivation for work, unemployment, labor migration, poverty. Asymmetric development of rural areas of the Chernivtsi region makes it difficult to use the border as a stimulating rather than inhibiting factor of cross-border convergence.
It should be noted that Chernivtsi region has the opportunity to equalize the asymmetries in the development of rural areas, which are provided by a unique natural resource potential, features of land resources as a natural basis, human, scientific and technical potential. However, practice shows that if the normal course of economic processes is violated, without government intervention, there is an increase in disproportions and a socio-economic asymmetry in the development of rural areas. The conducted studies prove the necessity of developing a regional policy aimed at reducing asymmetries in the development of rural areas and searching for new forms of interaction between participants in cross-border cooperation.
Elimination of disparities in rural development is possible through the cooperation of entities that are engaged in rural economic activities, local authorities and the initiatives of the peasants themselves, through the formation of a network of partner organizations. Partnership between the authorities, business and the rural community should be based on the use of international standards of social responsibility that will establish clear requirements for the activities of business, government and society and thereby equalize existing asymmetries in the development of rural areas.
Key words: rural areas, region, potential, diversification, asymmetry, rural area, cross-border cooperation.
- Tereshchenko, V., Lanchenko, Ye. (2013). Metodologichni zasady kompleksnoi otsinky regional’nogo rozvytku produktyvnyh syl sil’s’kyh terytorij. [Methodological foundations for a comprehensive assessment of the regional development of rural productive forces] URL: http://elibrary.nubip.edu.ua/6132/1/Терещ%D0%D5нко.docx.
- Mel’nyk, S. (2004). Sotsial’no-ekonnomichni problem vidtvirennya ta efektyvnogo vykorystannya resursnogo potentsialu sela. [Socio-economic problems of reproduction and efficient use of rural resource potential]. K.: NNTs IAE, 342 p.
- Tybinka, I. (2016). «Conceptual principles of regulation of intra-regional socio-economic differentiation in the conditions of activation of local self-government». Ekonomichnyj forum. Vol. 1. pp. 77-84.
- Mel’nyk, A. (2014). «Asymmetry of structural development of regions of Ukraine and its socio-political consequences». Sotsial’no-economichni problem suchasnogo period Ukrainy. Vol. 3. pp. 54-66.
- Belei, S. (2015). «The conceptual framework of the reproductive potential of rural areas. Scientific and educational journal». Geneva: Publishing Center of The international scientific association of economists “Consilium”, Volume 1, рр. 127-130.
- Belei, S., Zybareva, О. (2015). «Prospects of development of rural territories in the context of Ukrainian-Romanian cross-border cooperation of Euroregion» “Upper Prut“. Lviv: DU “Instytut rehionalnykh doslidzhen imeni M.I. Dolishnoho NAN Ukrainy”. Vol. 6 (116), рр. 31-37.
- Zybareva, O. Shakhraiuk-Onofrej, S. (2017). «Population trends in rural areas of Chernivtsy region as the emergence of new risks and threats of regional security». Visnyk Chernivetskogo torgovel’no-ekonomichnogo instytutu. Vol. I-II (65-66). pp. 81-74.
- Martynova, N. O. (2014). «The uses of the European models of local partnership in the field of development of rural territories and their adaptation are to the national legislation». Aktualni problemy derzhavy i prava. № 72. рр. 274-279.
- Kolchkov, V., (2012). «Socio-economic asymmetries of regional development of Ukraine (the essence and ways of overcoming)». Visnyk universytetu bankivskoi spravy NBU. vol. 1(13), рp. 14.
The article was received 10.03.2019