Introduction. Solving the problem of public debt management is one of the key factors of economic stability in the country. The budget capacity of the state and the stability of its national currency largely depend on the nature of the debt problem settlement. The need to address these issues requires finding ways to improve the mechanism of public debt management and servicing in Ukraine.
The purpose of the article is to study the public debt dynamics of Ukraine and model the nature of its impact on key socio-economic indicators in modern conditions.
Results. The dynamics and structure of the state and state-guaranteed debt of Ukraine for the period 2013-2019 are analyzed. The negative dynamics of the growth of the total amount of debt during 2014-2018 is determined. In 2019, the total amount of debt in hryvnia decreased due to the reduction of external and guaranteed debt, but in dollar terms increased, which threatens the financial stability of the country. Using the software product EViews 10 based on the Granger causality test, the system of causal relationships between the dynamics of public debt (index) and indicators of socio-economic development: GDP growth rate, industrial production index, real income index, employment index, the index of exports of goods and services, the index of imports of goods and services has been researched. On the basis of the established causal relations the autoregressive influence models of the public debt dynamics on indicators of social and economic development are constructed, on which the error does not exceed 5%.
Conclusions. According to the results of the constructed models, the negative impact of public debt on the main socio-economic indicators is determined, which is confirmed by the negative values of the elasticity indexes of socio-economic indicators. The built models serve as a preventive tool of public debt management, with the help of which it is possible to promptly respond to threats to socio-economic development by monitoring the level of public debt dynamics.
Key words: public debt, public debt management, socio-economic development, financial security of the state.
- Vlasenko, T. A. (2015). «The Public Debt Management: Essence of the Concept, Substantiation of the Methods for Restructuring». Biznes-Inform. №10, рр. 310-317.
- Kim, K and Lim, S. (2019). «Determinants of state long-term debt: The political market framework». The Social Science Journal. Volume 55, Issue 3, рр. 359-368.
- Gomez-Gonzalez, P. (2019). «Public debt structure and liquidity provision». Journal of International Economics. Volume 117, рр. 51-60.
- National debt of Ukraine. Веб-сайт. Available at: https://index.minfin.com.ua/ua/finance/debtgov/
- Gomez-Gonzalez, P. (2019). «Inflation-linked public debt in emerging economies». Journal of International Money and Finance. Volume 93, рр. 313-334.
- Demirci, I, Huang, J. and Sialm, C. (2019). «Government debt and corporate leverage: International evidence». Journal of Financial Economics. Volume 133, Issue 2, рр. 337-356.
- Dufrénot, G., and Paret, A.-C. (2019). «Power-law distribution in the external debt-to-fiscal revenue ratios: Empirical evidence and a theoretical model». Journal of Macroeconomics. Volume 60, рр. 341-359.
- Lim, J. J. (2019). Growth in the shadow of debt. Journal of Banking & Finance. Volume 103, рр. 98-112.
- Biudzhetnyj kodeks Ukrainy. Zakon Ukrainy. (2010). [Budget Code of Ukraine. The Law of Ukraine]. No. 2456–VI dated July 8, Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2456-17.
The article was received 02.01.2020