Introduction. The article assesses the importance of agricultural production within the framework of a world-system concept, which is becoming increasingly relevant in the light of the acceleration of globalization processes. The development of foreign economic relations and trade has a positive effect on the agricultural production efficiency, but in order to prevent the raw materials formation only, it is necessary to look for new priorities.
The purpose of the article is substantiation of the agrarian production place in Ukraine within the framework of the world-system concept. Within the limits of the purpose achievement the following tasks are distinguished: to investigate peculiarities and essence of the world-system theory, the countries of the center (nucleus); evaluate the terms of trade in Ukrainian agri-food products; to determine priorities for the development of foreign trade in Ukrainian agri-food products.
Results. The index of agricultural exports diversification of Ukraine during the analyzed period worsened – the share of grain in its structure in some years reached 40 %. This testifies to its exceptional raw material orientation. Unlike food or feed grains, such export products as seed products, tree saplings, breeding cattle of high-yielding breeds, dairy products, flour and other semi-finished products and finished foods have a higher level of added value and therefore better price positions in the foreign market. With an increase in the share of such commodities in the structure of agricultural food exports, terms of trade improve, and vice versa. The predominance of such goods in the country’s export testifies to high-tech agro-food production, focus on closed production cycle. The dominance in the export structure of Ukrainian agricultural products of food and feed grain indicates the breaking of technological chains in the national agro-industrial complex, the degradation of varietal and breeding business, the decline of livestock industries and so on.
Conclusions. Within the framework of the world-system concept, which is becoming increasingly relevant in the acceleration light of globalization processes, Ukraine is deliberately consolidating the status of the country of the peripheral zone. To avoid this prospect, you must: 1) to change the structure of agro-food products export – to reduce the share of grain, seeds of oilseeds (rapeseed) and to increase the share of products with relatively higher added value. These are seed products, high-quality breeding cattle, tree and shrub saplings, primary processing meat, meat and dairy products, prepared foods, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and more. What, first of all, requires stabilization and transition to the cattle population growth, pigs, restoration of domestic breeding and breeding business, modern high-tech seed production, etc.; 2) to bring to the European standards the conditions of supply of dairy and meat raw materials; 3) to increase the capacities of the domestic market for agricultural and food products. Which needs to stimulate demand.
Keywords: agrarian production, sustainable development, world-system concept, food security, foreign trade, production efficiency.
- Svit-systemnyj pidkhid. [World-system approach]. Available at: https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svit-systemnyj_pidkhid
- Nikolaiev, Ye. (2002). «World-system analysis of I. Wallerstein as a modern methodological approach to the analysis of the development of the world economy». Liudyna i polityka. № 6. рр. 121-132.
- Immanuel Wallerstein (2004), «World-systems Analysis.» In World System History, ed. George Modelski, in Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), Developed under the Auspices of the UNESCO, Eolss Publishers, Oxford, UK.
- Mudrak, R.P., Lahodiienko, V.V., Lahodiienko, N.V. (2018). «Impact of aggregate costs on national production». Economic Annals-XXI. №172(7-8), pp. 44-50.
- Mudrak R., Nyzhnyk I., Lagodiienko V., Lagodiienko N. (2019). Impact of seasonal production on the dynamics of prices for meat and dairy products in Ukraine. TEM Journal. Vol.8, No .4, рp. 1159–1168.
- Pro ratyfikatsiiu Protokolu pro vstup Ukrainy do Svitovoi orhanizatsii torhivli: Zakon Ukrainy. [. On ratification of the Protocol on Ukraine’s accession to the World Trade Organization: Law of Ukraine]. № 250-VI. dated 10.04.2008. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy (VVR). 2008. № 23. S. 213.
- Ministerstvo zakordonnykh sprav Ukrainy. Svitova Orhanizatsiia Torhivli (SOT). [Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. World Trade Organization (WTO)]. Available at: https://mfa.gov.ua/ua/about-ukraine/international-organizations/wto
- Svitova orhanizatsiia torhivli. [World Trade Organization]. Available at: https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svitova_orhanizatsiia_torhivli
- Ministerstvo zakordonnykh sprav Ukrainy. Uhoda pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu ta YeS. [Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU]. Available at: https://mfa.gov.ua/ua/about-ukraine/european-integration/ua-eu-association
- Zakon Ukrainy «Uhoda pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu, z odniiei storony, ta Yevropejs’kym Soiuzom, Yevropejs’kym spivtovarystvom z atomnoi enerhii i ikhnimy derzhavamy-chlenamy, z inshoi storony». [Law of Ukraine «Association Agreement between Ukraine, of the one part, and the European Union, the European Atomic Energy Community, and their Member States, of the other part»]. (2014). Dated 21 March 2014, № 984_011. Official Bulletin of Ukraine, 75. tom 1, р. 83.
- Uzhva, A. M. (2016). «Convergence of Sustainable Development of the Agrarian Sphere of Ukraine to the Common Agricultural Policy of the European Union». Hlobal’ni ta natsional’ni problemy ekonomiky: elektronne naukove fakhove vydannia. Issue 9. pp. 197–200.
- Zovnishnia torhivlia okremymy vydamy tovariv za krainamy svitu. [Foreign trade in certain types of goods by countries of the world]. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2019/zd/e_iovt/arh_iovt2019.htm
- Merchandise exports by product group and destination – annual (Million US dollar). World Trade Organization. Available at: https://data.wto.org
- List of exporters for the selected product. Available at: https://www.trademap.org/Country_SelProduct_TS.aspx?nvpm=1 %7c %7c %7c %7c %7c10 %7c %7c %7c2 %7c1 %7c1 %7c2 %7c2 %7c1 %7c2 %7c1 %7c1
- Statystychnyj zbirnyk «Sil’s’ke hospodarstvo Ukrainy 2017». [Statistical collection «Agriculture of Ukraine 2017»]. (2018). Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy. Kyiv. Ukraine.
- Statystychnyj zbirnyk «Sil’s’ke hospodarstvo Ukrainy 2018». [Statistical collection «Agriculture of Ukraine 2018»]. (2019). Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy. Kyiv. Ukraine.
The article was received 19.05.2019