The purpose of the presented research is to analyze the prospects of piggyback in improving the efficiency of organization of agricultural supply chains to the world market. Ukraine is characterized by a high level of logistical component in transportation of agricultural products, which actualizes the issue of managed transformations in this field.
The arguments and counterarguments on the viability of the strategy of using piggyback in the practice of building a supply chain in the context of the agrarian market are analyzed. The basis of the formation of the author’s vision is based on the criterion of economic feasibility. Attention was paid to the potential of piggyback in mitigating the situation in the organization of agricultural supply chains by reducing: the need for storage capacities, expanding the range of exporting entities, smoothing the situation of shortages of hopper wagons. At the same time, the actual updating of the piggyback mechanism is connected with the change of the structure of Ukrainian agro-export, in the transition from the practice of raw material appendage to the strategy of creation of production chains with high added value. It is noted that the key feature of agro-logistics is the objective need to form highly specialized segments within it. Each group of a wide range of agricultural products requires an individual, non-uniform approach in the logistics of intermodal transportation. Piggyback is recognized as a promising direction for the development of the logistics services market in Ukraine. However, their implementation in the practice of organizing agricultural supply chains has objective limitations. The segment agricultural group where piggyback is economically viable includes high-value elite agricultural products with a small average export batch, as well as high value-added agro-industrial products.
Key words: world market, piggyback, supply chains, international logistics, agricultural products, exports.
- Trofimtseva, O. Eksport produktsii ahrarnoho sektoru zris na ponad 24%. [Exports of agricultural products increased by more than 24%]. Uriadovyj portal. Available at: https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ua/news/eksport-produkciyi-agrarnogo-sektoru-zris-na-ponad-24-olga-trofimceva.
- TOP-10 tovariv, iaki svit kupuie v Ukraini. [TOP-10 goods that the world buys in Ukraine]. Ukrinform. URL: https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-economy/2555181-top10-tovariv-aki-svit-kupue-v-ukraini.html.
- Importuiemo dorohi tovary i z ikh dopomohoiu vyrobliaiemo syrovynu. Teksty.ORG.UA. [We import expensive goods and with their help we produce raw materials]. Available at: http://texty.org.ua/pg/news/textynewseditor/read/83583/Importujemo_dorogi_tovary_i_z_jih_dopomogoju.
- Larina, T.F., Kravcov, A. G., Berezhnaja, N. G., Kutiya, O. V., Fenenko, K. A. (2019). Implementation of logistic approaches in forming the agricultural export strategy in Ukraine. Journal of Sustainable Development of Transport and Logistics. 4(1). C. 17-24.
- Balanov,V. O. Rozvytok kontrejlernykh perevezen’ v Ukraini ta dosvid perevezen’ v ievropejs’kykh krainakh. [Development of piggyback transportation in Ukraine and experience of transportation in European countries]. Available at: file:///C:/Users/%D0%A1%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA/Desktop/17118-24942-1-PB.PDF.
- V Ukrayne nedostatochno elevatornykh vozmozhnostej – mnenye. (2019). [There are not enough elevator opportunities in Ukraine – opinion]. Lohystyka: problemy y reshenyia. №1 (80). рр. 10.
- Larina,T. F. (2019). «Infrastructural aspects of building the agricultural supply chain to the international market». Napriamy rozvytku tekhnolohichnykh system i lohistyky v APV: materialy I Mizhnarodnoi naukovo-praktychnoi internet-konferentsii. Proceeding of Areas of technological systems development and logistics in the AIS: Proceedings of the I International Scientific-Practical Internet Conference. рр. 94-95.
- Mezhdunarodnaia transportnaia lohystyka v Ukrayne: dostyzhenyia oschutymy, no rezervy rosta ohromny (material blits-oprosa ekspertov). [International transport logistics in Ukraine: the achievements are tangible, but the growth reserves are enormous (material from the experts’ blitz poll)]. Lohystyka: problemy y reshenyia. 2019. №1 (80). рр. 14-15.
- Petrenko, O. I. and Horbenko, O.I. Kontrejlerni perevezennia iak instrument rozvytku intehrovanykh transportnykh system. [Container transportation as a tool for the development of integrated transport systems]. Available at: http://www.economy.in.ua/?op=1&z=3769&i=14.
- Repich T.A. Problemy ta perspektyvy rozvytku kontrejlernykh perevezen’ v Ukraini. [Problems and prospects of development of piggyback transportation in Ukraine]. Available at: http://dspace.nuft.edu.ua/jspui/bitstream/123456789/9350/1/Problems%20and%20prospects%20of%20piggyback%20in%20Ukraine.pdf.
- Transportnye problemy ahrolohystyky: tsyfry. 19.12.2016. [Transportation problems of agro-logistics: figures]. Available at: http://logist/fm/news/transportnye-problemy-agrologistiki-cifry.
The article was received 14.03.2019